What is Ganoderma Lucidum (Lingzhi in China, Reishi in Japan)?
• Ganoderma Lucidum (also called Lingzhi in China and Reishi in Japan) is among the treasures of Chinese herbal medicine. It is also called the “miracle herb, long life herb, or imperial herb”, it has been proven through Chinese pharmaceutical studies and clinical research that it is useful in helping to prevent certain type of discomforts and it also helps prolong human life. Both the popular ancient Chinese medical dictionary, “Shen Nong Ben Zao Jing” and “Ben Cao Gang Mu” (Compendium of Materia Medica), written in the Ming Dynasty, provides detailed descriptions of the effects of Ganoderma Lucidum. Therefore, Ganoderma Lucidum (G.L) has been effectively used for several thousand years.
• Chinese scientists’ studies verified the pharmaceutical effects of Ganoderma Lucidum. The scientists of Chinese Academy of Sciences confirmed that the polysaccharides and triterpenes in Ganoderma are the key ingredients to maintaining a physiological balance within the human body. Polysaccharides and triterpenes also help prolong life. The Chinese government classified Ganoderma as both a food and a herbal medicine, and approved Ganoderma to be a safe herb as a dietary supplement with no toxicity in proper daily dosages.
• Ganoderma has been proven by the Chinese medicine literature to help maintain the body’s balance (immune system) and help alleviate certain discomforts, or discomforts related to the cardiac system, the brain vessels, the digestive, neural, endocrine, and respiratory systems. It is particularly effective in body cell maintenance, liver disorders (hepatitis) and slows down the aging process.
Main Ingredients of Ganoderma Lucidum & Studies:
• Scientific studies showed that Ganoderma is rich in active pharmaceutical components, there are about a thousand compounds found in Ganoderma Lucidum and its spore, that can be divided into 10 different categories, including G.L polysaccharides, G.L. triterpenes, G.L. polypeptides, 16 types of amino acids (7 of which are indispensable to humans), proteins, steroids, mannitol, coumarin, alkaloids, organic acids (mainly fumarate), and micro-elements such as Ge, P, Fe, Ca, Mn, Zn, etc. The substances that have key physiological activity are trierponoides, polysaccharide, nucleotides, animo-acid, micro-element, organic-germanium and alkaloids, etc.
• Trierponoids compound: The trierponoide compound includes Granoderma Lucidum acid. Ganoderma Lucidum spore acid, Red Lingzhi spore lactones etc. tetracyclic or pentacyclic trierponoids, belongs to high-oxidized steral by-derivatives. Currently, about one hundred and eight triterpenoid compounds have been discovered by the scientist in the world.
The Discovery of Ganoderma Lucidum Spore:
• Ganoderma Lucidum Spores are the seeds of Ganoderma Lucidum (hereinafter G.L. spore) mushroom plant. G.L. spores are a very light weight, dark-brown powder that naturally sprays out of the plant surface into the air when the G.L. grows to about 6-7 months. In ancient times, wind and rain blew and washed away the spores in a natural wildlife-planted environment, so the G.L. spore was undiscovered until it was successfully farm-planted in China. That is why ancient herbalist or herbal doctors never knew the powerful essence of G.L. and that the G.L. spore powder was unrecorded and unwritten in the ancient Chinese Pharmacopoeia “Shen Nong Ben Cao Jing.”
• G.L. Spores spray continuously for a period of about 10 days. Collection of G.L. spores now, since its discovery by farmers, is much easier than the wild-planted G.L.. Farmers usually use a “mask” or a big envelope to hold the plant while it sprays the spores. Since G.L. spores were discovered and after various laboratory research and studies, it is highly recognized by world scientists as the essence of Ganoderma Lucidum. G.L. spores are a part of the G.L. mushroom, but it is the most important part of the G.L. mushroom according to the Chinese scientific researchers.
• The G.L. spores are naturally produced only upon the maturity of the G.L. plant. Among the hundreds of species of G.L. mushrooms, only these cultivated species of spore are considered to be superior. These spores having the capacity of natural healing characteristics are far greater than that of the G.L. mushroom body.
• After the discovery of G.L. spores and along with the natural medical properties of these G.L. spores being recognized scientifically, the essence of G. L. mushroom plant, with its practical curative properties, has been formulated, and/or manufactured in different ways to benefit the human beings. Especially in China, there are over a thousand manufacturers that are manufacturing spores into a dietary health supplement, or as herbal medicines.
• Many Chinese herbal doctors highly recommend people who are suffering from poor immune system and metabolism system disorders recommend the use G.L. spore products together with the doctor’s treatment in order to achieve a full body recovery. With high natural curative factors, G.L. spores indeed make a great contribution to human beings in supporting the immune and metabolism systems.
• G.L. spore is considered the 3rd generation product of Ganoderma Lucidum mushroom plant. The 1st generation product of Ganoderma Lucidum mushroom is the plant body shell, which is usually sliced into pieces and boiled for hours to serve for people’s consumption. The 2nd generation product of Ganoderma Lucidum is the fine powder of the G.L. plant, which is gathered into capsules for intake. The 4th generation product of Ganoderma Lucidum mushroom product is the Shell-Broken Spores of Ganoderma Lucidum. The 5th generation product of Ganoderma Lucidum mushroom product is Ganderma Lucidum Shell-Broken spore Oil (G.L. triterpene extracted from spores).
What are shell-broken spores of Ganoderma Lucidum?
• The shell-Broken Spores of the G.L. mushroom are a revolutionary scientific discovery. The shell of the G.L. spore is as hard as the shell of a coconut. It is almost impossible for a person’s digestive system to absorb the beneficial elements within the G.L. spore. Thus, manufacturers usually suggest that people boil the spores for at least 5 minutes, and boil the mushroom plant for at least 4 hours before ingesting to achieve better absorbance of the super essence of the G.L. mushroom spore.
• In 1998, the scientists of Chinese Academy of Sciences were the first in the world to successfully broken/cracked the spore cell by using the “physically breaking technology” for the purpose of easy absorbance.
• Normal temperature physical breaking technology is applied to break-open the tough covering or “husk” within a chamber. This (cold) processing method ensures that up to 98% of the Spores can be successfully shell-broken. Most importantly, it also ensures that all the medicinal properties or trace elements are not destroyed.
• The above described essence, as a matter of fact, is a complete natural medicinal formula or prescription with exceedingly high healing properties. Whereas, the common G.L. preparations which are processed using heat, etc., will suffer the inevitable loss of some, or most of the important trace elements, etc, thus affecting its natural healing properties. These trace elements are the catalysts that can contribute to reinforcing the healing process. That is why spore powder in its natural form possesses the efficacy or curative power that is ten times greater than those of the common G.L. preparations.
• Following this discovery, intensive research was undertaken by the Chinese Academy of Sciences, Nanjing Zhongke Group, which culminated into a new strain of special or super species of Spore-producing G.L. plants being artificially cultivated. This makes commercial production of the said spores feasible.
• With this new discovery, the said “Spore Powder” finally made it into the Chinese Pharmacopoeia as an herbal dietary supplement with extremely high curative properties.
Our Conclusion about the Ganoderma Lucidum Spore
• Ever since the G.L. spore’s discovery, through past and on-going intensive researches, more light has been shed on its numerous curative and health enhancing properties which has even prompted Western medical researchers to reevaluate and acknowledge G.L. Spores’ vital role in contributing to good health and healing.
• It is both important and beneficial for the reader to realize and understand the significant role that G.L. Spore Powder plays in maintaining and enhancing immune system health, as well as helping and supporting the body’s self-healing process, etc.
• It is also equally important for the reader to be mindful and take caution of its limitations, despite the many miraculous accounts that have been attributed to its curative power. Notwithstanding this fact, Spore Powder is not, and should not be taken as a panacea or a “cure-all medicine”. Rather, Spore Powder should be considered as a very portent and effective medicinal tonic herbal food supplement that can contribute to good health, remedying health anomalies as well as in augmenting and supporting the modern medicine in the healing process. If taken as such, Spore Powder can and will make an important contribution to the remedial and preventive aspects of modern medicine and aid people for good health and happiness.
• Being basically a health food, people of all age groups can safely take it. Besides the sick, it can also be taken by the very healthy as a form of immune or health “enhancer” or booster, etc. It produces no harmful side effects.
• However, for certain people who are taking hemostat, we suggest you temporally stop taking any Lingzhi products, until you finish hemostat. Then Lingzhi product will help you recover faster, a healing reaction may be experienced. People who had Heart bypass surgery, and people who received organ transplants, should not take any Ganoderma Lucidum ( Reishi ) products unless you have your doctor’s permission.
Different points of view and reduction to absurdity:
• Shell-broken and shell-unbroken Ganoderma Lucidum spore.
There are some arguments about whether the G.L. spore cell walls should be unbroken because the exposure of protoplasm may result in oxidation, which is incorrect. The reasons are based on three points:
(1) As far as the chemical structure of the spore’s components is concerned, Ganoderma Lucidum spore consists of highly oxidized organic compounds and combinations, and it is hard to combine more oxygen atoms (ions).
(2) From the aspect of its structure, the external part is covered by two coats of cell walls while the inside is full of chitin which is difficult to be processed by kidneys in the human body. A great amount of whole Ganoderma Lucidum spores can be found in the excrement of animals and mankind.
(3) In terms of application history approaching 10 years in China, Japan and Korea, shell-breaking has been the optimum method to make full use of G.L. spore. It has been proven by experiments that its absorption rate is much higher than that of other ways. It was also reported in Japan that polysaccharide in shell-broken G.L. spore absorbed by the human body is 9.3 times that of decocted one.
• Wild and Farm bionic cultivated Ganoderma Lucidum
(1) The function of wild Ganoderma Lucidum is not necessarily better than the cultivated one.
(2) Firstly, bionic cultivated G.L. can be picked at a proper time and dried to prevent rot and woodenness. This is not the case for wild Ganoderma Lucidum. When not picked on time some spore, in part, may have already lost its potency due to woodenness.
(3) Secondly, wild ones have more impurities due to the different growth environment.
(4) Finally, it’s not easy to collect mature spores of wild Ganoderma Lucidum, most of which are usually blown away from flattish head of the G.L. mushroom after they become ripe, therefore, no record of Ganoderma Lucidum Spore exist in ancient times at all.
(5) When the time comes for bionic cultivation, 1-4 kg of spores is supposed to be collected for every 100kg of Ganoderma Lucidum. Once collected, the spores can be ready for use in the extracts of its essence.
(7) Wild Ganoderma Lucidum has been exaggerated to be extremely precious in respect to cultivated Ganoderma Lucidum. Actually, there’s little difference between the structure elements of cultivated ones and those of wild ones.
The Key Benefits of Lingzhi if used as a Dietary Food Supplement:
According to Chinese medical literature, Ganoderma penetrates into and works on five key human organs; the heart, lungs, liver, kidney, and pancreas. Ganoderma may help relieve the discomforts related to various human systems including the respiratory, circulatory, digestive, neural, and endocrine systems. It alleviates illnesses associated with medical, surgical, gynecological, podiatric, and even ENT (ears, nose, and throat) issues.
Chinese Ancient Medical publications “Shen Nong Ben Cao Jing” and “Ben Cao Gang Mu” (Compendium of Materia Medica) , Ganoderma has the following specific benefits,
1. May Boost Internal Body Ying & Yang (immune system) and maintain a healthier Body
It enhances the body’s internal Qi (Energy) and increases the body’s internal self-defense mechanisms against the bad cells. Modern scientific researchers found that Lingzhi enhances the function of monocytic macrophages by activating the synthesis of interleukin. It enhances the blood synthesis capacity, particularly at the white blood cell level. Proper and sustained usage of Lingzhi produces an inhibiting effect on cell mutation, and becomes one of the most effective dietary supplements for body maintenance. It can be used as a dietary supplement in combination with clinical tumor treatments, and with any other daily food.
2. May Help Maintain Liver and Help with Detoxification of Body
It is said Lingzhi is able to help protect the liver from damage caused by various chemical and biological treatments. Lingzhi can be used before liver discomforts happen, or afterward in a combination treatment plan as a dietary supplement. Lingzhi’s primary function is to help speed up the metabolism and reduce the toxic substances in the liver. Lingzhi may also help relieve certain discomforts associated with chronic hepatitis and minimizes associated and related symptoms such as dizziness and fatigue, poor appetite, etc.
3. May Help Maintain the Body’s Circulation System
Chinese and Japanese clinical studies and experiments with animals confirm Lingzhi can effectively dilate coronary arteries, increase coronary blood vessel flow, and improve circulation in cardiac muscle capillaries. This, in turn, may increase the supply of oxygen and energy to cardiac muscles. It may help protect the heart from a shortage of blood supply, and may also help prevent heart disease and nausea.
Lingzhi may also be effective in helping to balance blood cholesterol by preventing the formation of arterial athermanous. If athermanous patches are already formed, Lingzhi may help reduce the cholesterol in the arterial wall and soften the blood vessel to avoid further damage. It may improve blood circulation and prevent the aggregation of blood platelets.
4. May Slow Aging
The polysaccharides and polypeptides found in Lingzhi may help delay aging through the following according to Japanese researches: Lingzhi polysaccharides may help enhance DNA synthesis in the cell nucleus, which may result in slowing aging.
5. May Have a Calming Effect, Relieves Depression, and Helping Sleep
In China, Lingzhi is widely used in the treatment of neurasthenia and insomnia. Scientists found that the extracts from Lingzhi work on the central nervous system, so as to calm the body. In ancient Chinese medical publications, Lingzhi was said to “stabilize emotion”, “increase wisdom”, and “enhance memory power”. Recent reports state that Lingzhi has a prominent effect on insomnia caused by neurasthenia. Generally, it takes a period of 10 to 15 days for sleep patterns to improve, appetite to increase and body weight to stabilize. Lingzhi has a relatively strong effect on the central nervous system. To date, the effects of Lingzhi on neurasthenia and insomnia has been clearly described and stated in the published “China State Medicine Book”.
6. May Help Balance & Maintain Blood Pressure
Laboratory tests in China & Japan have shown that Lingzhi can effectively balance the blood pressure.
Lingzhi is currently being used in Chinese clinics to help maintain patients’ blood pressures; these test cases have been reported to have an 88% success rate. It was found that Lingzhi also extends and stabilizes the effects of other blood pressure medicines.
7. May Help Balance and Maintain Blood Sugar
It has been found by Japanese and Chinese clinically that Lingzhi “Ganoderma B and C” may help lower blood glucose levels. In China, research has shown that by enhancing utilization of blood glucose by body tissues, Lingzhi can serve as a supplement to insulin to inhibit the release of fatty acids. Chinese studies reflect that blood glucose can be reduced from 173 to 116, cholesterol from 233 to 179, and Beta-protein from 580 to 465.
8. May Help Maintain Respiratory System
Both the popular ancient Chinese medical publications, “Shen Nong Ben Cao Jing” and “Ben Cao Gang Mu” (Compendium of Materia Medica), written in the Han and Ming Dynasties, provide detailed descriptions of the effects of Lingzhi on respiratory disorders. Lingzhi may stop coughing, may help clear sputum, and may help suppress asthma. It may also relieve symptoms of related respiratory discomforts.
Since Lingzhi activates the immune system, it may help prevent contracting the flu and other common colds according to some scientific researches.
9. May Help Relieve Allergies
If the body is invaded by an antigen that elicits an immunological reaction leading to various abnormalities and immunopathological symptoms, Lingzhi may be effective in suppressing negative reactions and help the body recover more rapidly. Chinese experiments show that Lingzhi helps stop the release of hyper-reactive factors and helps prevent the development of allergic reactions. Lingzhi has been found to help alleviate the symptoms of asthma, joints discomforts, heart discomforts, allergic discomforts and certain skin discomforts.
10. May Be Beneficial to Beauty Care
Ganoderma Lucidum may retain and regulate water in the skin and helps maintain the skin’s elasticity, keeping the skin hydrated and smooth. It may also help to inhibit the formation and deposit of melanin in skin. Today, Ganoderma Lucidum beauty care products are becoming new stars in the cosmetic industry. By adding Lingzhi into daily food, not only can one’s skin be kept smooth but it may also help prevent bacterial infections according to Japanese researches.
Besides, Lingzhi has been reported by world scientific researchers that it may help stimulate blood synthesis. Ganoderma Lucidum may help enable the body to block viral infections. Ganoderma may also help increase the body’s tolerance against polluted environments. It may be beneficial to suppress over-contraction of the uterine muscles for those who have irregular menstrual cycles. Lingzhi may also be effective in alleviating retinal, brain, and abnormal muscular development issues. Ganoderma Lucidum may act as a pain reliever for headaches according to Chinese and Japanese researches.
The Usage of Serving Ganoderma Lucidum & Its Reaction:
1. Shell-Broken Ganoderma spore is better absorbed than non-broken shell of Ganoderma Lucisum Spore.
2. Dark Red Ganoderma (Chi Zhi) is preferred; Farm Bionic planted Ganoderma is much safer than wild ones.
3. Taking Lingzhi before meals or taking Lingzhi with empty stomach can have better absorption than taking it after meals.
4. We do not suggest people who have heart bypass surgery, and people who received organ transplants, to take any Ganoderma Lucidum (Reishi) products unless you get your doctor’s permission.
5. Ganoderma is a dietary food supplement, it can be taken together with other supplements and certain medicine, or any food, or drinks without causing any side effects.
6. Ganoderma Lucidum taken as a dietary food supplement, and according to the Chinese philosophy of “No dizzy, No recovery”, which means it may produce temporary signs of light dizziness, short-term thirst and/or increased defecation and urination. These reactions are normal…. the body is adjusting and toxicity is being dissolved, mobilized, and excreted according to popular ancient Chinese medical publications, “Shen Nong Ben Cao Jing” and “Ben Cao Gang Mu” (Compendium of Materia Medica), written in the Han and Ming Dynasties, providing detailed descriptions of the effects of Lingzhi .
7. These symptoms will usually last from 3 to 7 days depending on the level of toxins in your body. Most people will not have this feeling; it is reported that only about 3% of people will lightly have this feeling.
8. However, these reactions are demonstrating the effectiveness of Ganoderma Lucidum on the body whereby toxicity is being dissolved, mobilized, and excreted. Therefore, these reactions should be regarded as normal and should not be a reason to stop taking Ganoderma Lucidum.